This woman's dream was to go blind! What she did was shocking!

Did anyone here dreamed of being blind? I think none. It's really hard to be blind. You can't see people around you, you can't see the food you eat, you can't see how beautiful the world is. But this woman's dream was unbelievable!

She had her fascination with blindness began when she was just about 6 years old.
She had her fascination with blindness began when she was just about 6 years old.

Jewel Shuping, 30-year-old from North Carolina, dreamed of being blind that she decided to blind herself!

Jewel has a condition called Body Integrity Identity Disorder (BIID), a condition in which able-bodied people believe they are meant to be disabled.

Her dream of being blind arranged to have a sympathetic psychologist pour drain cleaner into her eyes.

According to Jewel, her fascination with blindness began when she was just about 6 years old.

"My mother would find me walking in the halls at night, when I was three or four years old," she said.

As a child, Jewel would walk around her darkened home at night and would spend hours staring at the sun, watching sunspots knowing it could damage her vision.

“By the time I was six I remember that thinking about being blind made me feel comfortable,” said Jewel.

When Jewel was a teenager, she began to wera thick, black sunglasses and walk with a cane.

At the age of 20, she already mastered how to use a braille.

"I was 'blind-simming', which is pretending to be blind, but the idea kept coming up in my head and by the time I was 21 it was a non-stop alarm that was going off," said Jewel.

Jewel said that she is happier than ever after fulfilling her lifelong dream of becoming blind.

Doctors at the hospital tried to save her vision, even though it  was against her, but unfortunately they are already damaged
Doctors at the hospital tried to save her vision, even though it
 was against her, but unfortunately they are already damaged
When Jewel reached the age of 30, she decided to blind herself with a psychologist who was willing to help her become blind.

They began the process in 2006 by first putting in eye drop followed by a few drops of drain cleaner in each eye.

"It hurt, let me tell you. My eyes were screaming and I had some drain cleaner going down my cheek burning my skin. But all I could think was 'I am going blind, it is going to be okay," she explained.

Doctors at the hospital tried to save her vision, even though it was against her, but unfortunately they are already damaged.

It took about six months for the damage to fully take effect.

After Jewel fulfilled her dream of becoming blind, her family disowned her. She told them at first that it was an accident. But Jewel said she insists she has no regrets.

"The only thing I would want to see again is my dad's face, although sadly that's not possible as he's no longer with us. I really feel this is the way I was supposed to be born, that I should have been blind from birth."

"When there's nobody around you who feels the same way, you start to think that you're crazy. But I don't think I'm crazy, I just have a disorder," Jewel said.

Her left eye suffered a 'corneal meltdown' - collapsing in on itself and requiring the eye to be removed - while her right eye had glaucoma and cataracts, and a webbing of scars.

"When I woke up the following day I was joyful, until I turned on to my back and opened my eyes - I was so enraged when I saw the TV screen," she said.

Jewel is now sharing her story to help raise public awareness of BIID. She's encouraging people with the same condition as her to seek professional help.

Watch the video here:


Thank you so much for dropping by and reading this article. Visit our website regularly for more interesting and trending news and stories.

If you enjoyed this post, please share this with your friends and if you have any comment, please write below. Thanks!

This woman's dream was to go blind! What she did was shocking! This woman's dream was to go blind! What she did was shocking! Reviewed by TrendSpot on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 Rating: 5

No comments