Woman lost her face because of rare deformity that causes tumor

Being contented with what you in the greatest feeling in this world. Being happy with yourself, with what God has given you is the best thing! This woman's story will surely bring you into tears.

Khadija Khatoon, 21-year-old, from Kolkata, West Bengal, Eastern India, spent her life without a face. She doesn't even know if she has eyes or a nose and her mouth is a small slit on the left side of her face.

Khadija Khatoon, 21,from Kolkata, West Bengal, Eastern India, spent her life without a face
Khadija Khatoon, 21,from Kolkata, West Bengal, Eastern India, spent her life without a face


Khadija was believed to have neurofibromatosis, the general name for a number of genetic conditions that cause swellings or lumps, which has severely distorted her features.

I'm made this way and I accept it graciously,
Khadija said.

Despite her problems Khadija says she is happy with her life.

When Khadija was born, doctors were shocked by her condition. It was their first time to experience such condition. Thought it was never been confirmed, they believed it was neurofibromatosis.

I do what I can. If this is how I'm meant to be then I live with it. It's not a matter of coping, I just live as I am,
she said.

Neurofibromatosis is a rare deformity that causes tumors to grow along nerves. Tumors are swellings formed by a growth of cells.

Neurofibromatosis type 1 is the most common form of the rare condition, affecting around one in 3,000 births. Sufferers are born with NF1, although symptoms often develop over a number of years.

Khadija's parents, Rashid Mulla, 60, and her mother Amina Bibi, 50, started to realized that something was wrong with their daughter when she hadn't opened her eyes at two months old.

She was born at home but she didn't open her eyes. She was born with thick heavy eyelids and she looked different to my other children at birth but we didn't think anything of it until we realized she couldn't open her eyes properly,
said Khadija's mother Amina Bibi.

When we took her to the hospital she was admitted for six months and they did lots of tests but doctors eventually told us there was nothing they could do,
she added.

Her condition worsened as she grow up and the extra skin forming on her face continue to grow our of control. The doctors told them that there was nothing they could do with Khadija's condition.

She never went to school. She only has few friends, but she said that she's happy with the way she lives.

I don't have any real friends but I have my family. My family is my only friend and I love them dearly. My parents are my world. I don’t talk to strangers.


This is who I am and this is the life I live and I fill my days sitting and thinking, talking to my mother about life and going for walks near my home. I like drinking tea. I am happy in this life. If only the government would see my position and help me, I would like that,
Khadija said.

According to Dr. Anirban Deep Banerjee, a neurosurgeon from Apollo Hospital, Kolkata, Khadija could have a 'fatal tumor' inside her face.

She even urged Khadija's parents to take her for a gene test.

Despite her devastating deformities, Khadija's has still have a positive outlook in life. Even though she has never been able to see how beautiful the world is, she insists she lives a happy life.


Thank you so much for dropping by and reading this article. Visit our website regularly for more interesting and trending news and stories.

If you enjoyed this post, please share this with your friends and if you have any comment, please write below. Thanks!

Woman lost her face because of rare deformity that causes tumor Woman lost her face because of rare deformity that causes tumor Reviewed by TrendSpot on Thursday, November 12, 2015 Rating: 5

No comments